Sunday, October 23, 2016

Turkovich Family Wines Week 12

"Cleaning chicken houses is work. This is typing." ~Art Volkerts~
A Rite of Passage for a Wino




October
Week 3


Tuesday
October 18th 2016


Art Volkerts, my great grandfather lived 96 eventful years and was the push that got this blog going.
This week along with the other weeks have been so busy that at times, I found myself not wanting to write, not even having time to take photos. There were many days where I just wanted to go home, have a glass of wine, cry a bit, and just go to sleep; and many mornings where I couldn't move my hands and just wanted to stay in bed and sleep a little longer.  Now that I think about it or think about my great grandfathers words, the typing is the easy part, but it does take dedication to keep it going.
Even today I still can't believe I made it through harvest! But then again...I am an extremely determined person. My determination, and need to know more has led me on the most interesting adventures.  Every once in awhile I would return to America and pay my great grandparents a visit and my great grandfather would say, "o look the visitor is back!"  I was fortunate enough to be able to surprise my great grandparents last week when I popped in to drop them off dinner from the ranch house, unfortunately I did not get to tell my great grandfather in detail about me working wine harvest in California and my latest adventures abroad, but I'm sure I'll get to tell him all about it one day.

So here it is! The last week of harvest/pressing! Not all the winery work is completely done for the season, but I am happy to say I do not have to get inside the dam press and clean it anymore after this week!
Pressing Mourvèdre (also known as Mataró or Monastrell)

The winery dogs are here to say hello bright and early before pressing. 


Day 1 of the final pressing week: The press isn't too pink...it shouldn't be too hard to clean.

It's just Luciana Turkovich and I today, she is manning the forklift and I am manning the press.





Wednesday
October 19th 2016



Day 2 of Pressing
Pressing starts bright and early, we must get an early start since it will take all day to complete only half of  the press loads for the remaining Petite Sirah.

Luciana is at it again! Rocking the forklift 


You see all that pink? That's the deeply colored Petite Sirah! O yes the press will be fun to clean today. 

The color Petite Sirah gives off is hypnotic, and hand staining, and clothes staining, and a mess, but it sure is pretty.
If I had to choose one wine to paint with, it would be Petite Sirah.  

Berries are in the press and this is what remains: seeds, lees, and a few berry casualties.

What a beautiful mess! and it's all mine to clean up.
You want to make the wine, you have to do the time!






Thursday
October 20th



Day 3 of Pressing
This is the final day! The last of the Petite Sirah will be going into the press.  I am still alive and might have possibly gotten my second wind.
Things are looking grim for the cleaning process though, the shades of pink/purple are layering on thick.  I think Luciana could see the fear and anticipation in my eyes after each press load.  How did she salvage the day?  Let me dump the last bin of Petite Sirah into the press! The excitement and fear was almost unbearable, it's Sunday now and it still makes me nervous to think about it, but I got pictures!!! The thing she knows what my heart most desires =) well...that and wine of course.

Are you guys seeing this? That's me! working the forklift, and dumping a bin of Petite Sirah into the press. 


All I could think of was...please don't break, please don't break.







Friday
October 21st 2016


Today I am Cinderella
If the winery gets clean in time, which it must! Then I can attend the harvest party tomorrow.
Who needs amusement parks when you have to be fork lifted up this high to make the wine barrels look pretty.





Saturday
October 22nd 2016



The Harvest Party
Every year Turkovich Family Wines throws a harvest party and anyone is invited to join.
There is a hot air balloon, a band, games, bbq/food truck, plenty of wine, and lots of fun too be had.
One day of hard cleaning and power washing and the winery is like new again. 
T-Shirts!  Come get your T-Shirts!



Josh Algood, tattoo artist and bottle etcher, check him out in Dixon, CA, or request a bottle to be engraved at Turkovich Family Wines. 
www.facebook.com/algoodinktattoo






This couple was adorable! They reminded me of my great grandparents. 

Follow the sign

Free butternut squash! 

Everyone is excited to check-in, get their drink on and start dancing.


I'm always a fan of life size Jenga






Fresh from the Tap
&









Free hot air balloon rides today!




Inflating the hot air balloon







0 comments:

Post a Comment